Tip #1 – Use the Help in your Hands
I cannot express enough the importance of budgeting! You can make a million dollars, but if you spend two million dollars you’re still going to be in debt! You have to know what you’re spending and where. So, mom tip #1 “You have your phone in your hand all day, use it for smething good!” There are free budgeting apps that will track your spending for you. Step away from the troublesome spreadsheets and track your spending right on your mobile device.
- Intuit Mint – This app gets mom’s seal of approval! It can be linked to your bank account so that all your transactions are imported and categorized automatically. You can also set your budget and track overages.
- Wallet & Penny are also great choices. And there are many others out, so get on track & stay on track.
Enjoy the “try before you buy” and loyalty reward programs. Just make sure that there are no long-term commitments. If you have to use your credit card to enroll, be sure to call and cancel before you get charged!
Try before you buy
- Hulu, Netflix, Sirius XM – Get a free 2-month trial before you begin membership· Time Warner Cable – free movie channels for sample period. Then, renegotiate your packages annually to get the new customer savings! Same thing works with cell phone carriersLoyalty Rewards
- Fandango, Cinemark, AMC – Enjoy reduced price tickets on Tuesdays and discounts on concession purchases
- Domino’s – Make 5 purchases over $10, get a free medium pizza on your 6th purchase.
Tip #3 – Save Money on Meals
The average American family spends $962 per year on eating out. Of course Mom would recommend a home cooked meal, but when you HAVE to eat out, keep more of your money in your pockets with these helpful tips.
Mom’s Must Have:
- Coupons - Keep coupons in the glove compartment or armrest of your car. This way, when you can’t resist you have a coupon option to save a few dollars.
- Daily Deals – Groupon and Living Social gets Mom’s seal of approval! If you want to treat yourself to a night out, use these tools to save! These sites frequently offer new locations and deals so there are always adventures to try!
- Meal plans – Pick out a couple of dishes you want to make for the next week or two. Check the pantry and fridge for ingredients before you shop. Having a focused plan will cut down on excess which leads to waste. Save even more at the checkout with the Flipp app. It takes all the items on your list and price compares for you at your local stores! Just add your grocery list to the app and save, save, save!